starting out

От Phil Howard
Тема starting out
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This is my first posting here.  I just subscribed.  Normally I go
read mailing list archives to see what specific topics are discussed,
particularly when there is more than one list and I can pin down
which my question should go to.

Problem is, the archive HTML generator is slightly broken, and just
enough so that Netscape won't render the pages.  I went in and looked
at the HTML and found what I suspected was the cause:  an unterminated
table.  Could whoever takes care of that stuff get it fixed, or if I
need to contact someone, can you tell me who to contact?  It is the
threaded view that is broken.  The date view seems OK.  It just needs
a </table> tag at the right place as far as I can tell.

Oh, another thing.  It would be helpful if the welcome message would
give the email address to mail submissions to.

Now to the real problem (and I hope I picked the right mailing list).

I compiled 7.3.2 and built a binary tarball to distribute to other
machines.  But the building, in particular the linking, has a problem
in the way it links to libssl.  Instead of making the linking reference
to the generic version level of the library, it makes it to the specific
patch level version.  The end result is that the compiled binary won't
run unless that EXACT version of libssl is present.  This means I have
to end up making binaries for every possible library version.  OK, so
I have only a couple versions of openssl deployed (because openssl
happens to be a major pain to reinstall via remote due to the fact that
it kills my ssh daemon when I do, and I get locked out).  So I have to
make a couple of different binary versions.

But this also means when I do upgrade openssl, it will also kill postgres
and I have to upgrade postgres, too, every time I upgrade openssl (which
I should be doing more of since I have a few machine still on the older
version, but now this will slow it down even more).

So, you who know how the source build/configure/makefile setup is put
together, do you know what modification to make so that it will link to
a generic version of openssl instead of the specific patch level?

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Redhat RPM to see how that binary was
built.  It did appear to be built do a generic version of ssl, but it
was not built to the current version.  It references libssl.so.2 not
libssl.so.0.  Maybe Redhat hacked things around and this is what is there
so this is what will be linked.  But at least it is apparently that there
is a way to make postgres build for generic linking.  Who knows how?  Is
there a patch for the source tree to make it Redhat ready from which I
might pick out part to make it work for my needs?

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |
| phil-nospam@ipal.net | Texas, USA | http://ka9wgn.ham.org/    |