Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:50:13AM -0300, Marcelo Pereira wrote:

> What about speed?? Is Oracle faster than PostgreSQL?? Why?? I believe
> that some day the PostgreSQL development team will improve the engine and
> it will be as fast as Oracle.

 Speed? Use MySQL :-) I think real relation database use is not about
 speed only -- it means speed is not always most important argument. I
 sure people use Oracle for the others features.

> I don't plan to use Oracle, I just want to have solid arguments to say
> PostgreSQL is as good as Oracle. There are *a lot* of person that think

 _Always_ if you compare something you must to define surroundings
 where and how you will use wanted software.

> Oracle is better because it is not free. To tell the truth, I know lots of
> people that preffer Windows instead Linux, Oracle instead PostgreSQL,
> ... , non-free instead free, without any kind of knowledge, just because
> it isn't free and came with a full color manual on a brighting (also full
> color) box.

  If you want to start talk about PostgreSQL as OpenSource project is
 good first read something about PostgreSQL history. The PostgreSQL
 history = SQL engines and relation DBs reseach history :-)

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/