Re: PostgreSQL in Arabic

От Ruslan N. Balkin
Тема Re: PostgreSQL in Arabic
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:05:29 -0500
Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i also didn't receive a reply on a similar questions. The way i
> thought it would work is:
> 1) Unicode-encoding DB
> 2) char, varchar etc. fields.
>
> but, in reality, with that set up i wasn't able to insert even
> non-English, but still ASCII chars, let alone Unicode chars. I'm
> pretty sure it's possible, but still don't know how.
>
> Sincerely,
> r.

I think you need to provide --enable-locale and/or --enable-unicode to
the configure script (never compiled by myself, but saw something
similar).
Before doing initdb, set LANG and LC_ALL to the desired locale (in my
setup, ru_RU.KOI8-R)
Locale settings at the moment of doing initdb could be found in your
postgresql.conf; at the end of file; so if you see the "C" locale there,
I will not be surprised if you cannot enter any non-alphanumeric
characters to your db.
Changing values in postgresql.conf doesn't seems to do anything, so I
guess you should backup your data, erase your PG_DATA, and initdb with
your locale settings.
Sorry if this didn't help, I'm definitely not a postgresql expert
--
WBR, Balkin Ruslan