Re: Using RSYNC for replication?

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Using RSYNC for replication?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:58:09AM -0500, Jason Hihn wrote:
> 2)I can assure myself that there are no existing open transactions.
> Also, this is the reason why I'd lock all the tables. My call for locks
> would block until all other transactions were complete, ensuring I get a
>   consistant copy.

No, it won't.
<http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/backup-file.html>:

"The database server _must_ be shut down in order to get a usable
backup. Half-way measures such as disallowing all connections will
not work as there is always some buffering going on."

If you want to minimise the amount of traffic you send to your
backup, I suggest looking into some form of replication.  There is a
pile of information on replication at
<http://gborg.postgresql.org/genpage?replication_research>

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110