7.2 -> 7.3 => data version/dump problem

От otisg
Тема 7.2 -> 7.3 => data version/dump problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

I just made a mistake of upgrading from
7.2(.1 or .2) to 7.3.1, forgetting that some
data format has changed.
When I tried starting postmaster I now get:

[root@linux2 pgsql]#
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

An old version of the database format was
found.\nYou need to upgrade the data format
before using PostgreSQL.\nSee (Your System's
documentation
directory)/postgresql-7.3/README.rpm-dist
for more information.

The file mentioned does exist, but does not
mention how to deal with the data format change.
I found some references online that mention
that one needs to dump the database and then
reimport it.
So I tried using pg_dump to do that, but
that seems to require that the server be
running:

[root@linux2 pgsql]# pg_dump MyDB
pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to
database "MyDB" failed: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory
        Is the server running locally and
accepting
        connections on Unix domain socket
"/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

'MyDB' is correct (that is, I used the real
DB name in place of MyDB).

Looks like a circular dependency to me.
Can anyone help me with this.  Searching
this list is impossible - searches take over
a minute.
I am using Red Hat 8.0.

Thanks,
Otis

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

Сообщение: Re: [RFC] libpq extensions - followup
Сообщение: Re: [RFC] libpq extensions - followup