Re: ??? Multiple selects in procedure

От Darko Prenosil
Тема Re: ??? Multiple selects in procedure
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 24 January 2003 09:38, Ivar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >probably sign of poor database design
>
> I won't agree with it.

I did say probably, not definitely !

> For example you need return document from server.
> document structure
> Header - header fields
> Detail   - document rows
>
> In c# I just  exec procedure and read tables.
>
> ds.Tables[0].TableName = "Detail";
> ds.Tables[1].TableName = "Header";
>
> Some header columns are sum of detail, if you won't get them from one
> procedure, you must select twice Detail rows (once for detail itshelf and
> for header row sums) - this is very big over head(tme,cpu,..). Tmp tables
> can't be used, because program works over webservices.

When I need the speed, I always use redundant fields -sums in headers are
actual fields which are updated by triggers from detail fields. In this
scenario, only updates are little slower(updates are very rare if you compare
it with selects ?), but selects can be very fast. If you also make those sums
"read only" for regular user using triggers, this can be a solution.

> With mssql it works perfectly, but cost of mssql ... .

I'm familiar with MSSQL 2000, and there is much more features in MSSQL that
PostgreSQL does not support, but ...

От: Jeffrey Melloy
Сообщение: Re: Can object oriented table design help to solve this problem?
От: greg@turnstep.com
Сообщение: Re: Searchable 7.3.1 Documentation - now interactive!