Re: problem starting 7.3 server

От Ian Barwick
Тема Re: problem starting 7.3 server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Saturday 25 January 2003 22:40, Markus Jais wrote:
> hi
> I have installed the newest 7.3.1 rpms for RH 7.3.
> before I removed the 7.2 binaries with rpm -e

Usually  PostgreSQL data file formats are not compatible between major
releases, e.g. between 7.2.x and 7.3.x.

(...)
> any ideas what to do ?
> I have no important data so it would be possible to remove
> the old databases but I do not know if this is the solution.

You can delete the directories containing the data files
(don't know where they will be on RedHat, try /var/db )
and create a new database "cluster" using the initdb
installed with 7.3.1.

See e.g.:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/creating-cluster.html

(If you suddenly find you want the old data you can alway reinstall
7.2.x,  dump the data and import it in to 7.3.x, see:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/backup.html )

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net