Re: HOW-TO do incomplete dates: year, optional month, optional day?

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: HOW-TO do incomplete dates: year, optional month, optional day?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 16:11:09 -0600,
  will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
> is there a way, save lots of manual manipulation and
> hand-waving, to implement PARTIAL DATES? (this may be exactly
> the job for creating a new data type, but hopefully someone's
> already invented this wheel...?)
>
>     "doug has worked at pinnacle since 1991".
>
> not 1-jan-1991, not 31-dec-1991, but just plain-ol' 1991.

I think if you precisely define what just plain-ol' 1991 means, you
will be able to design a solution that will work.

A couple possible answers are:

Store a lower and upper bound for the dates.

Store a best guess for the date, but only output the most significant
part(s) in reports.