Re: postmaster.pid

От Kevin Brown
Тема Re: postmaster.pid
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Also, the fact that you even had to mention two different ways of doing
> >> it is prima facie evidence that there are portability issues...
>
> > Well, that doesn't necessarily follow, but even if it did, we have
> > autoconf, we can very easily select a method as appropriate based on
> > the results of testing the platform from within configure (I mean,
> > what else is autoconf really for?).
>
> True.  Probably we could combine it with the old logic as a fallback.
> Are you volunteering to do the work?

Yes, I'll do it.  Should be much easier than figuring out how to get
explicit JOINs to be automatically reordered by the optimizer.  :-)

The way I see it, the old logic should only be used if configure
didn't find a suitable file locking mechanism or in the event that an
error returned by the locking mechanism indicates something other than
that the file is locked.  If there are no objections, that's how I'll
implement it.

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com