Re: Database backup

От Alexandros Perdikomatis
Тема Re: Database backup
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Στις Κυρ 19 Ιαν 2003 04:59, ο/η D'Arcy J.M. Cain έγραψε:
> Redirecting to help list as it seems more appropriate.
>
> On Saturday 18 January 2003 09:17, Alexandros Perdikomatis wrote:
> > Question: Am I too stupid to use tar?
>
> I'm sure not but you may misunderstand what tar does.  Tar is for storing a
> collection of files into an archive.  It expects to find the list of files
> on the command line in one form or another.  If you don't write to a file
> first then all you have is a stream of data, not a file.
>
> > Some time I had no space on the filesystem to copy all the data in
> > command mode (pg_dump) so I thought to pipe pg_dump to tar using a scsi
> > tape archiver as output (/dev/rmt0).
> > Why doesn't work?
>
> What exactly was the problem?  You may just have a device selection issue.
> What system is this on?

Thanks for the reply.
I think I understand what you mean, I just thought that instead of a file
input, we could have a pipe input.
It runs on a SuSE linux 6.4 (you may ask why this old version, I updated what
was necesary, I like it becouse I have full greek support) and the archiver
is an old conner DDS-2 scsi tape streamer which is known on the operating
system as /dev/st0 by the kernel whith a symbolic link to /dev/rmt0.
When I pg_dump on a file, of cource there's no problem. I restore also
correctly.
But I would like to pipe this procces. For example: if we type the command:
# tar cvf /dev/rmt0 *
we're going to have all the files in the tree below to the tape.
How can I pipe the output of the pg_dump to it?
Thank you one more time for your reply, I just feel that it must be a way with
it. I face no problems in my C programs using postgresql, (I like it so much)
so I also feel that this problem sould not be in this mailing list becouse
maybe is a system-side question. If this is the case, sorry everybody.
(one question: where (which mailing list, book or something) is going to help
me installing postgresql to an IBM AiX 4.3 system (RS6000 architecture)?
(please)
thanks again.

Alexandros