Re: change in behaviour? Is this a regression in function?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: change in behaviour? Is this a regression in function?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> >> Was this an intentional change or will it be fixed in 7.4?
>
> > It was an accident and will be fixed in 7.4.
>
> No, it was deliberate --- the difficulty of preserving the old behavior
> seemed too high, and there were no complaints about it at the time.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-09/msg00031.php
>
> We've gotten a very small number of complaints subsequently, but AFAICT
> most people either haven't noticed or like the space savings.
>
> There has been some subsequent discussion of adding a WITH/WITHOUT OIDS
> option to CREATE TABLE AS, eg
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg00336.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg00357.php
> but AFAICT the amount of effort needed is well out of proportion to the
> value of the feature.  You can always do a plain CREATE TABLE and then
> fill the table with INSERT/SELECT, if you need to have OIDs.

I find it uneven for CREATE TABLE AS not to have oids, while CREATE
TABLE does.  Was the problem that we had multiple tables in the query,
and some may have oids and some not, and we didn't know if we should
create an oid column?

Сообщение: Re: change in behaviour? Is this a regression in function?
Сообщение: Re: change in behaviour? Is this a regression in function?