Re: Options for growth

От D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Тема Re: Options for growth
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 16 January 2003 12:23, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 11:42, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Is [Oracle RAC] really as simple as it sounds or would we just be
> > giving up the other two for a new set of problems.
>
> That's a question you should be asking to an authority on Oracle RAC
> (which pgsql-hackers is not).

True but I already have their perspective.  Now I am looking for reasons to
stay with PostgreSQL.

> > My idea is to create a new middleware layer that allows me to split
> > things up based on various criteria without changing my application.
>
> Personally, I would not be very eager to use home-brew replication for a
> heavy-load, production-critical application (which is what your app
> sounds like). But YMMV...

Not replication per se although I suppose that could be built in.  What I am
talking about is an application that knows our business logic and brokers
requests for data from the database(s) in an OO way.  The idea is to split
data up in the middleware whenever necessary.

> > We are also looking at hardware solutions, multi-CPU PCs with tons (24GB)
> > of memory.  I know that memory will improve access if it prevents
> > swapping but how well does PostgreSQL utilize multiple CPUs?
>
> The estimates I've heard from a couple parties are that PostgreSQL tends
> to scale well up to 4 CPUs. I've been meaning to take a look at
> improving that, but I haven't had a chance yet...

Cool.  I am looking at Tyan boards that have 4 CPUs and 24GB memory.

> Another option is to put some money toward the current development
> effort to get truly scalable replication for PostgreSQL. In the end, I'd
> think the cost of subsidizing some of that development would be a
> fraction of the license fees you'll end up paying Oracle over the
> years...

This is definitely an option.  I can probably put both people and money into
such an effort.  I would be happy to hear from people who can work on that.