Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:30:55PM -0800, Roman Fail wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the quick replies!  I'm sure that my lack of skill with SQL queries is the main problem.
What'sstrange to me is how MSSQL takes my bad queries and makes them look good anyway.  It must have a real smart
planner.
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> >First, the performance of foreign keys is flat-out awful in Postgres.
> >I suggest avoiding them if you can.
>
> I don't have any problem getting rid of FKs, especially if it might
> actually help performance.  The nightly data import is well-defined

Sorry, I think I sent this too quickly.  FKs make no difference to
SELECT performance, so if you're not doing updates and the like at
the same time as the SELECTs, there's no advantage.  So you should
leave the FKs in place.

> I think this is the most likely problem.  I've read through Chapter
> 10 of the 7.3 docs, but I still don't feel like I know what would
> be a good order.  How do you learn this stuff anyway?  Trial and
> error?

Sorry, but yes.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

От: Ron Johnson
Сообщение: Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow
От: CaptainX0r
Сообщение: Re: Sun vs. Mac - gprof output