Re: UTF-8 encoding question regarding PhpPgAdmin development

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Re: UTF-8 encoding question regarding PhpPgAdmin development
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for your answers. It rings a bell.

> Finally, when you display East Asian characters you will
> have a font problem because the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters
> are mapped to the same range in Unicode but you are supposed to use
> country-specific glyphs.

Do you mean that glyph hexaX will display differently in UTF-8 and EUC_JP? If
it is really the case, we cannot use UTF-8.

> Round-trip conversion is not safely possible, so if your tool provides a
> read/edit/write tool then you will have problems.

Maybe we could use "getdatabaseencoding()" to determine the dabase encoding
and generate HTML pages with the corresponding headers. Example: Latin1
database <-> ISOS-8859-1 headers.

The problem is that PhpPgAdmin interface needs to be localized in several
languages, not related to database encoding. Example: EUC_JP interface and
Latin1 databases.

Maybe a solution would be to use the ISO 10646 notation for PhpPgAdmin
interface localization:  "&#XH;", where H is a hexadecimal number.

Cheers,
Jean-MIchel POURE