Re: postmaster.pid [Viruschecked]

От Patric Bechtel
Тема Re: postmaster.pid [Viruschecked]
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 19:38:49 +0200, am@fx.ro wrote:

Hello,

just my 2 cents:

I discovered many cases in which the .pid file was still there, but
postgres wasn't running anymore. Normally it's save to delete the
pid if the process noted in there is not postgres anymore.
The main cause for the pid file is that NEVER EVER two different
copies of the postmaster start upon the same database cluster.
Anyway, if the aforementioned postmaster isn't running anymore,
the first step is to start postmaster. It will recover from the
former fault will be ready within seconds.
I work for the last 24 months with Postgres, I killed it (kill -9),
I made very crude things with it (taking the harddisks away and such),
but I never had problems it did not recover from. One of our
customers even installed it on notebooks (30pcs), and the users
tend to switch them off, or the batteries are empty, or the
notebooks just go down in doze and never wake up again (Bios prob).
Postgres did a good job on that being a very hard "taker" on that
side, so I think you won't get probs, either.
I once tried SAP-DB, which I torn in pieces within minutes this

Patric