Re: postmaster.pid

От Joerg Hessdoerfer
Тема Re: postmaster.pid
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On Friday 03 January 2003 12:54, you wrote:
> Happy New Year to everyone (and especially to the PostgreSQL Developers)
> --------------------------
>
> My computer shut down unexpectedly because of a short-circuit in
> another room. The next time i powered on the computer, PostgreSQL
> did not start automatically: the old postmaster.pid was still there.
> So, I had to remove that file manually.
> ( everything was ok: the database did not suffer from this shock ).
>

> Tip Suggestion:
> i think that somewhere in the docs the administators
> should be advised to delete postmaster.pid automatically at boot
> time ( for example at the same time when the files in /tmp are
> deleted ).
> This way, in case of an unexpected shutdown, postgresql would be
> able to restart without any manual intervention.

Well, this is a *BAD IDEA*. Suppose, for example, your data is corrupt in
some special way, an due to your removal of the pid file, postmaster tries to
recover the database automatically and probably destroys all or data part of
the data. You would like to have been able to do a filseystem level backup
first...

Greetings,
    Joerg
--