Re: pg_restore woes..

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: pg_restore woes..
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Thursday 02 January 2003 17:47, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Upgrade to 7.3.  There were some bugs in the TOC handling in 7,2.X.

I can't believe that's the best advice, given that the migration from 7.2 to
7.3 isn't the easiest one on the world.  What happened to back porting some
bugfixes to 7.2 from 7.3 because of that?  Would this particular pg_restore
fix be eligible for that treatment?  If so, are there other fixes that might
prompt a 7.2.4?

Quoting from Tom Lane:
=========
> 2.)   Maintaining security fixes for 7.2 for a good period of time to come,
> since migration from 7.2 to >7.2 isn't easy.

True, but I think we'll have to deal with that anyway.  Even if the
physical database upgrade were trivial, people are going to find
application compatibility problems due to schemas and other 7.3 changes.
So we're going to have to expend at least some work on fixing critical
7.2.* problems.  (I just want to keep a tight rein on how much.)

                        regards, tom lane
==========

This is just an annoyance (probably not critical): the 7.2-7.3 migration may
be a royal pain instead of an annoyance.  And, as Tom reminds us above, it
_isn't_ just a data migration issue, but an application compatibility issue
as well.

Chris, I'd do the upgrade on a scratch machine loaded with a duplicate of you
7.2.x data and see, first, just how big of a pain you have.  It might be that
you don't hit the corner cases that cause the most pain.  I certainly hope it
goes easy for you.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio