Re: [JDBC] Conversion between UNICODE and LATIN1 is not supported

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: [JDBC] Conversion between UNICODE and LATIN1 is not supported
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> Hello,
>
> Do you have other databases that work with UNICODE? You can check the
> encoding of all your databases with 'psql -l'. You can check if you can
> create any unicode databases with 'createdb -E UNICODE mytestdatabase'.
>
> I didn't use postgresql on solaris yet, so the following is just a
> guess: maybe you need to install additional solaris packages. For
> example to get tomcat/java working with utf-8/unicode/.. instead of
> plain ascii, we need at least the following on our systems:
>
> SUNWloc        System Localization
> SUNWlocx       System Localization (64-bit)
> SUNWeuluf      UTF-8 L10N For Language Environment User Files
> SUNWeulux      UTF-8 L10N For Language Environment User Files (64-bit)

No, all our databases are LATIN1, it's the JDBC driver which want to "set
client_encoding = 'UNICODE'". I havn't tried to connect to a UNICODE (-E
UNICODE) database with the JDBC driver.

I now created a test database <andreak> with -E UNICODE
Here is some output:

[andreak@www2] ~$ uname -a
SunOS www2.java.no 5.8 Generic_108528-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
[andreak@www2] ~$ psql -l       List of databases  Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
- -----------+----------+-----------andreak   | andreak  | UNICODEtemplate0 | postgres | SQL_ASCIItemplate1 | postgres
|SQL_ASCIIwww       | onp      | LATIN1

(4 rows)

[andreak@www2] ~$ psql andreak
Welcome to psql 7.3, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help on internal slash commands
    \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

andreak=# select version();                               version
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.3 on sparc-sun-solaris2.8,
compiledby GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2

(1 row)

andreak=# show client_encoding ;client_encoding
- -----------------UNICODE
(1 row)

andreak=# set client_encoding = 'LATIN1';
ERROR:  Conversion between LATIN1 and UNICODE is not supported
andreak=# set client_encoding = 'UNICODE';
SET
andreak=# \q
[andreak@www2] ~$ psql www
Welcome to psql 7.3, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help on internal slash commands
    \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

www=# set client_encoding = 'LATIN1';
SET
www=# set client_encoding = 'UNICODE';
ERROR:  Conversion between UNICODE and LATIN1 is not supported
www=#

This works fine on Linux, I havn't tried to patch Solaris with l10n-stuff yet,
but it would be nice to get some feedback and understand why this is
happening and why I don't get a more descriptive error. For some reason none
of the conversions work at all, except, of course, conversion between similar
encodings like UNICODE<->UNICODE.

- --
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no>There will always be someone who agrees with youbut is, inexplicably, a
moron.