Bug #851: cast() no longer works in array inserts

От pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Тема Bug #851: cast() no longer works in array inserts
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Malcolm Tredinnick (malcolm@commsecure.com.au) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
cast() no longer works in array inserts

Long Description
If I have a table containing an array (e.g. a bigint[] field), then it does not appear to be possible to insert values
usingthe cast() function. This used to work in PostgreSQL 7.1, but no longer works in 7.2 or 7.3. I cannot see anything
inthe release notes saying the previous behaviour was considered incorrect and the documentation seems to indicate it
shouldbe possible.

If this is not meant to work, then this is a documentation bug, because it is unclear how to insert a constant like 0
intoa bigint field in an array.

The example code below works in 7.1, but not in later versions. The error message given is

   ERROR:  Bad int8 external representation "{0::bigint, 0::bigint}"

for the first example and similarly for the second (with the appropriate cast statements substituted).

Sample Code
create table foo (bar bigint[]);

insert into foo values ('{"0"::bigint, "0"::bigint}');

insert into foo values ('{cast("0" as decimal(12)), cast("0" as decimal(12))}');

No file was uploaded with this report