Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I figured out why I forgot to update the minor number for 7.3.  The old
RELEASE_CHANGES file had:
   bump interface version numbers     o src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.rc     o src/include/pg_config.h.win32

I had forgotten to explicitly list the Makefile changes.

The new list is:
   bump interface version numbers     o src/interfaces/*/Makefile     o src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.rc     o
src/include/pg_config.h.win32

Of course, incrementing the minor number may not have even helped us
because we needed a major increase, which I didn't understand at the
time.

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 19:13, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OK, let me see if I understand the ramifications.
> >
> > If you install 7.3.1 _on_top_of 7.3, both major versions will exist, and
> > you your old binaries will continue to work.  However, if you delete the
> > old libraries, then install, anything compiled against 7.3 will not work
> > until it is recompiled.
>
> Yes.  You will have libpq.so.3.0 in 7.3.1; and you have libpq.so.2.2
> from 7.3 (and also from 7.2.x, though in fact they are different).  If
> you have installed 7.3.1 on top of 7.3, you will have libpq.so.3
> (symlinked to libpq.so.3.0) from 7.3.1, and libpq.so.2 (symlinked to
> libpq.so.2.2) from an earlier release.
>

> > Also, any new linking against a 7.3.1 that has both major version
> > numbers will use the newer major?  Is that right?
>
> 7.3.1 will only have the new major version number; the old one will have
> come from 7.3 or earlier.  The library chosen by the linker is the one
> linked to libpq.so.
>

> --
> Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>
> LFIX Limited