Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?

От Kevin Brown
Тема Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > OK, so what do we do with 7.3.1.  Increment major or minor?
> >
> > Major.  I thought you did it already?
>
> I did only minor, which I knew was safe.  Do folks realize this will
> require recompile of applications by 7.3 users moving to 7.3.1?  That
> seems very drastic, and there have been very few problem reports about
> the NOTIFY change.

Keep in mind that people who are running applications compiled against
the older (7.2) library have the option of keeping the older library
around.  They can recompile their applications to link against the
newer library at their leisure.

Someone who has recompiled their applications against the 7.3
libraries is already safe -- they can install 7.3.1 and keep the old
7.3 libraries around at the same time if they don't want to recompile
their applications again.  They just have to be careful to not use any
precompiled applications that were linked against the 7.2 series.

The people who are running 7.2 have the option of keeping their 7.2
libraries around while upgrading to 7.3.1.  Any applications that are
compiled against the 7.2 libraries will still work.

The only people who are in trouble are the people who upgraded from
7.2 to 7.3 but did not recompile some of their applications.  They
have three options: install 7.3.1 and recompile their applications,
install 7.3.1 and reinstall the 7.2 shared libraries, or recompile
their applications against 7.3 (and then upgrade to 7.3.1 at their
leisure).  Obviously the last option is the worst of the lot: if
they're going to recompile their applications, they may as well do so
against the newer (7.3.1) libraries with a higher major number so
there is no confusion about which libraries are really compatible with
which.

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com