Re: Is it possible to Import tables and its data from Ms Access

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Re: Is it possible to Import tables and its data from Ms Access
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- Adrian Klaver <aklaver@attbi.com> wrote:
> I use PGAdmin II and its database migration plugin
> to import tables from
> Access or other ODBC source.

I second this recommendation.  PGAdminII worked very
well for me recently in a similar exercise.  You just
tell the migration utility which PostgreSQL database
you are exporting to, then tell it which tables you
are exporting, and the rest is done: tables, indexes,
primary keys, foreign keys are all created for you.

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org

Suggestions, based on my recent experience:
PostgreSQL is much more strict about identifiers (i.e.
names of tables and other database objects) than
Access is.  Here is a link that tells you more:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

I suggest that you consider changing the names of any
tables and columns that:
* Are mixed case
* Contain characters not allowed in PostgreSQL
identifiers
* Are PostgreSQL key words.

Any of those will _always_ need to be quoted wherever
used, which is a pain to keep track of, and a trap
just waiting to happen.  PGAdminII migration utility
has an option that will change all names to lower
case.  Access won't care about that change.  Other
changes may be more difficult, because you will then
need to change them wherever they appear in your
application, but this may turn out to be less trouble
for you.