Re: IPv6 patch rejected

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: IPv6 patch rejected
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I didn't read my email this weekend, so I am sorry to be late getting
back to you on this.

First, let me say I am excited about this patch.  Several people have
asked for IPv6 support, but you are the first person to actually submit
a patch for it.

I want to comment on the patch a bit because IPv6 is usually a difficult
feature to add, considering the many platforms we support.

First, I am running BSD/OS, so I have the bind 8.2.3 Inet routines in my
libc.  However, I do not have IPv6 enabled in my kernel.  Your patch
will have to deal with such systems, _and_ platforms that don't support
IPv6 at all.

It appears the patch does a few things:
changes comparison of port->raddr.sa.sa_family == AF_INET to    call to a new function isAF_INETxchanges inet_aton()
callto a new function SockAddr_pton()extensively modifies StreamServerPortadds modifies
StreamServerPortSubAFUNIX1/2modifiesconnectDBStart

To better integrate your patch, I have:
reformatted to fit our coding stylerenamed file v6utils.c to ipv6.cremoved 'configure' link code to use Makefile link
like md5.cadded code to create IPv4 port if IPv6 port creation fails

I need to continue reviewing the code and add a configure test to
determine if IPv6 can compile on the machine.  The fallback to IPv4
should be fine on machines that don't have IPv6 in their kernels.

The current patch can be downloaded from:
ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/mypatches/ipv6

Pennsylvania19073