Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Monday 09 December 2002 12:50, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Compare the 7.3 release notes, written for the most part by Bruce
> Momjian and revised by a couple of other developers, to the "press
> release", written by people who were obviously ill-informed.

If people want to see the details, let them read the release-notes themselves,
and let it be the detail document.  A press release of the detail that the
release notes have will not get any 'press' -- and I say that wearing my
radio broadcaster hat, where I have personally approved or disapproved 'press
releases' in news stories in the past.  Getting 'press' is what a 'press
release' is all about.

So, IMHO, the pgsql-announce mailing list should get the press release along
with the other 'outside' press outlets -- and the developers' lists (since
hackers is far from the only one) should, IMHO again, get a copy of the
release notes.

> And my personal favorite is this:

> Release notes:

>    Internationalization
>           Both multibyte and locale support are now always enabled.
>
> Press release:
>
>         - Supports data in many international characters sets (UNICODE,
> EUC_JP, EUC_CN, EUC_KR, JOHAB, EUC_TW, ISO 8859-1 ECMA-94, KOI8, WIN1256,
> etc...)

> That is just plain wrong.  Support for various character sets is years
> old.

It IS true that the current release supports all of these.  The blanket
'Supports' statement above quoted was not true in the blanket case until the
'support' became default, since there were cases that this would not be true.
Support != 'if you pass the right parameters to configure this will work', at
least not at the press release level.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio