Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

От Tommi Maekitalo
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2002 05:22 schrieb Lamar Owen:
> [cc: list trimmed]
>
> On Wednesday 04 December 2002 22:52, Philip Warner wrote:
> > At 05:48 PM 4/12/2002 -0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > >Lack of marketing is one of Postgres's major problems.
> >
> > What are the consequences of the problem?
>
> Actually, lack of easy upgrading is one of PostgreSQL's major problems....
>
> But lack of focused marketing -- truthful, not, as has been said, like the
> 'Database HOWTO' -- is a real problem.  It would be nice to increase our
> usage.
>
> > If that is what we want, then fine. But I don't want to see any part of
> > the development effort distorted or the existing user base inconvenienced
> > in an effort to purely gain that market share. I usually associate
> > increased marketing with decreased quality, and I think the causality
> > works *both* ways.
>
> ISTM there's a separate, non-code-developer group doing this.  It doesn't
> seem to take away _any_ developer resources to do an advocacy site.
>
> However, I seriously question the need in the long term for our sites to be
> as fractured as they are.  Good grief!  We've got advocacy.postgresql.org,
> techdocs.postgresql.org, odbc.postgresql.org, gborg.postgresql.org,
> developer.postgresql.org, jdbc.postgresql.org, etc.  Oh, and we also have
> www.postgresql.org on the side?  I think not.  Oh, and they are fractured
> in their styles -- really, guys, we need a unified style here.

Hi,

there are lots of sites talking about postgresql. But if someone hear about
postgresql he sure tries www.postgresql.org. There he just get a list of
mirrors. Not really a good start. But worse: there is no links to gborg,
advocacy, techdocs, ... Advocacy should be found at www.postgresql.org and
have links to the other pages. I found gborg when reading the mailinglistst.
It is something like a insidertip.

www.apache.org has a much better structure. You go to www.apache.org and get a
welcome-message and links to subprojects as the webserver.

Another point that comes to my mind is design. I'm not a designer, but I like
the design of www.postgresql.org but not advocacy.postrgresql.org.

Tommi

--
Dr. Eckhardt + Partner GmbH