Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 08 December 2002 06:14 pm, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On 8 Dec 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > >
> > > Then why wasn't mysql in the list?  It's familiar.
> >
> > To PHBs?
>
> I would argue yes.  Everywhere you turn you see "Powered by MySQL".
> If years of working on it isn't getting them the familiarity to overcome
> the PHBs then the PHBs are either not considering open source or the
> marketing attempts aren't strong or capable enough to penetrate.

I don't think mysql has penetrated the "enterprise class/ mission critical"
mindest, which is the level our service had to be provided that.  To be
honest, it was tough to argue PostgreSQL belonged in that group, though we
had a good 2 years worth of history in actually running the business on
PostgreSQL which couldn't be dismissed.  Of course, some of these companies
weren't too happy things were running on linux, and not aix or solaris; are
we seeing a pointy haired trend here?  Personally I never understood why our
sales guys didn't just tell them "ok we'll port the service to oracle/solaris
for you, but it's going to cost you at least twice what it does now, if not
three times. Oh, and you won't see any better performance."

Robert Treat