How to make silently truncate for char type

От Terence Leung
Тема How to make silently truncate for char type
Дата
Re: How to make silently truncate for char type  (Aasmund Midttun Godal <postgresql@aasmund.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I upgraded postgresql 7.1 to 7.2 and found that many
sql cannot execute because version 7.2 does not
silently truncate the string for char(n) type during
insert a new row.
e.g. insert t (field1) value ('abcdef');
     where field1 is char(5) but I insert the string
has 6 characters.

How can I solve the problem except downgrade the
Postgresql?

Looking forward to your reply!!!

=====
Yours sincerely,