Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lee Kindness wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>  > Tom Lane wrote:
>  > > Lee Kindness <lkindness@csl.co.uk> writes:
>  > > > Perhaps the .so name should have been updated for PostgreSQL 7.3?
>  > >
>  > > It should have been.  If it wasn't, that was a serious oversight.
>  > > Not sure if we should change it in 7.3.1 or not, though; it may be
>  > > too late for that.  Any thoughts out there?
>  > Seems I did forget.  I always update the minor for a major release, but
>  > when development starts, and I seem to have forgotten for 7.3.  Sorry.
>
> Personally I think automatically updating the version numbers is as
> bad as not doing it at all - it misses the point.
>
> The version numbers in shared library filenames denote binary
> compatibilty, if the /public/ API changes then the version number
> really must be incremented.
>
> If the version increments without any associated API changes then it's
> just a PITA for developers and products linking to the PostgreSQL
> libraries! It forces recompilation when there is not really a need.

It is my understanding that only the major number force recompliation.
We came up with this procedure after quite a bit of discussion. I am
happy to change it, but I need more than one person to tell me that.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: 7.4 - TODO : alter table drop foreign key
Сообщение: Re: 7.4 - TODO : alter table drop foreign key