Re: performance of insert/delete/update

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: performance of insert/delete/update
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom,

> When you get right down to it, what we use fsync for is to force write
> ordering --- Unix kernels do not guarantee write ordering any other way.
> We use it to ensure WAL records hit disk before data file changes do.
>
> Bottom line: I wouldn't run with fsync off in a mission-critical
> database.  If you're prepared to accept a risk of having to restore from
> your last backup after a system crash, maybe it's okay.

Thanks for that overview.  Sadly, even with fsynch on, I was forced to restore
from backup because the data needs to be 100% reliable and the crash was due
to a disk lockup on a checkpoint ... beyond the ability of WAL to deal with,
I think.

One last, last question:  I was just asked a question on IRC, and I can't find
docs defining fsynch, fdatasynch, opensynch, and opendatasynch beyond section
11.3 which just says that they are all synch methods.   Are there docs?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Сообщение: Re: performance of insert/delete/update
Сообщение: Re: performance of insert/delete/update