Using VIEW to simplify code...

От Chris Gamache
Тема Using VIEW to simplify code...
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Right now I dynamicly generate the SQL for an incredibly ugly 4 table join
based on user information client-side. I got the bright idea to create a view
and then run a MUUUCH simpler client-side query on that view. The problem is
that PostgreSQL apparantly runs the view FIRST and then applies the criteria
AFTER assembling the whole view.

I was hoping that it would rewrite the "select" in the view to include the
criteria BEFORE running the view. That way it could take advantage of the
indexes the way my giant-and-hard-to-maintain-client-generated-sql does.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

If you MUST have the giant-and-hard-to-maintain-client-generated-sql statement
and its related explain, I'll produce it. I cringe at the thought of having to
redact that monster, tho.

CG