Re: Authorise root as postgres

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Authorise root as postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 19:06:40 +0000,
  * Tong * <tong@none.hub.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hope this simple question has a simple solution:
> How can I authorise root the same previliage as postgres?
>
> My postgres is password protected, I want to use 'psql -U postgres' as a
> root without specifying password every time, or for a certain group of
> users. How can I do that? I've been banning my head on the walls in
> finding a way to achieve it. Still can't find a way to do it with
> indent, md5 or even passwords authentication. Please help.

If you are using postgres through a socket (and hence must be on the
same machine as the server), running at least postgresql 7.2 and your
OS supports getpeerid, then you can use ident authentication and
permit root to connect as the postgres user without using a password.

If you are running an identd server on the machine you are logged into,
then you can use ident authentication over a network connection.

My preferred way to access postgres is either to su from root to postgres
to do things or to access as user postgres from my normal account.