Re: Postgres Cygwin Install-as-Service on XP Pro/Home Mini

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Postgres Cygwin Install-as-Service on XP Pro/Home Mini
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Kevin,

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:09:24AM -0700, Kevin Wong wrote:
> BUT!!!!  Swap Excerpted Steps 7 and 8.  "initdb" won't actually run
> successfully without ipc-daemon running in the background first, in my
> experience.

Oops!  Thanks for the above.  I'm amazed at how long I had this and the
numbering screwed up!

> Windows XP Home:
>
> Because Windows XP Home has a number of differences from XP Pro,
> primarily in user accounts/management, you can't simply follow the
> standard NT/2000 install-as-service instructions.  You have to do a
> few things differently.

Since I don't have access to XP Home, would you be willing to help me
get this right?  If so, then I will add a XP Home section to the README.

Combining my limited Windows 9x experience and your XP Home Cygwin
PostgreSQL installation steps, it sounds like a "blending" of the basic
and NT services installation is appropriate.  Does the following make
sense *and* work:

1. Install the cygipc ipc-daemon as a NT service:

    $ ipc-daemon --install-as-service

2. Install postmaster as a NT service:

    $ cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D /usr/share/postgresql/data -i" --dep
ipc-daemon--termsig INT --shutdown

3. Create the PostgreSQL data directory:

    $ mkdir /usr/share/postgresql/data

4. Start the cygipc ipc-daemon:

    $ net start ipc-daemon # [1]

5. Initialize PostgreSQL

    $ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

6. Start postmaster:

    $ net start postmaster # [1]

7. Connect to PostgreSQL:

    $ psql template1

[1] Cygwin's bin directory (e.g., C:\Cygwin\bin) must be added to the
    Windows NT/2000/XP's system PATH and the machine rebooted for the
    SCM to find cygwin1.dll.

Note that the ipc-daemon and postmaster services are installed to run
under whatever user account XP Home uses for services.

Thanks,
Jason

Сообщение: Re: Postmaster will not start
Сообщение: Re: Postmaster will not start