Re: Importing data into the database using JDBC

От Dror Matalon
Тема Re: Importing data into the database using JDBC
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 11:43:24PM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Dror,
>
> Interesting marketplace! The bid's look low? Do you actually get good
> work at those prices?

Yes they are low, but they've been climbing a bit lately which is
something that we've been encouraging. We've just started a month ago
with the marketplace and it's a work in progress. Part of the challenge
is that new people need to get up to speed with our platform. Still,
we are getting some good work.

> my 2 cents worth, I would probably write an XML -> JDBC connector, and
> then have everything else write to XML.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

> There is one postgres option that invalidates the above statement. I
> think someone hacked in the ability to do a SQL COPY, so if you wanted
> it to be really fast you would format for the copy command.

If you wanted it to be really fast, and you're handling large number of
rows, you should probably use something other than JDBC. I suspect that
for large scale stuff, JDBC would be too slow because of all the
overhead.

By the way, where do you need this?

Dror