Re: Selective usage of index in planner/optimizer (Too conservative?)

От Ludwig Lim
Тема Re: Selective usage of index in planner/optimizer (Too conservative?)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Something fishy about this --- why is the estimated
> number of rows
> different in the two cases (143073 vs 28254)?  Did
> you redo VACUUM
> and/or ANALYZE in between?

   I neither VACUUMed nor ANALYZEd between the 2
cases.

> >    I am wondering why in test case #2 it did not
> use
> > an index scan, where as in case #3 it did.
>
> Probably because it knows "branch_cd=5" is more
> selective than
> "branch_cd=1".  It would be useful to see the
> pg_stats entry for
> branch_cd.

  Should I try altering the statistics? I tried
  ANALYZE points(branch_cd);
  but it still gave me the same results.

> >    Its rather strange why "SELECT COUNT(*)...WHERE
> > branch_cd=1" uses sequential scan even though it
> just
> > comprises 5.3% of whole table...

   What I mean is the table is rather large. (2
million rows) and I thought the planner would
automatically used an index to retrieve a small subset
(based on the percentage) of the large table.

> No, what's strange is that it's faster to use an
> indexscan for that.
> The table must be very nearly in order by branch_cd;
> have you clustered
> it recently?

  I never clustered the table.

   But prior to testing I dropped an index and create
a new one. Does dropping and creating index "confuse"
the planner even after a VACUUM ANALYZE?

   I seem to notice this trend everytime I add a new
index to the table. It would slow down and the
performance would gradually improve in a day or two.

  Should I try changing "cost" variables? I'm using
Pentium IV, with SCSI [RAID 5].

regards,

ludwig.