Re: Performance problem iterating a resultset

От Teofilis Martisius
Тема Re: Performance problem iterating a resultset
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi,

While testing PostgreSQL JDBC I have noticed that it uses byte[]->String
conversion everywhere via 'new String(byte[], encoding)' constructor. I
found the implementation of that constructor painfully slow at least in
Sun's JDK 1.3.1 and 1.4.0, a bit better in gcj 3.2.  I have made a patch
that uses my own UTF-8 Unicode byte[]->String constructor and it speeds
up iterating a resultset ~1.5-2x on Sun's JDK.

Please confirm if anyone has similar experience. I will post the patch
to this mailing list if you are interested in it. Too bad it only works
with Unicode databases, and uses the default String constructor for other
character codings.

Teofilis Martisius,
teo@teohome.lzua.lt