Re: Postgresql and multithreading

От Anuradha Ratnaweera
Тема Re: Postgresql and multithreading
Дата
Re: Postgresql and multithreading  (Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au>)
Re: Postgresql and multithreading  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:25:23AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
>
> > ... what I want to know is whether multithreading is likely to get
> > into in postgresql, say somewhere in 8.x, or even in 9.x?
>
> It may be optional some day, most likely for Win32 at first, but we see
> little value to it on most other platforms;  of course, we may be wrong.

In that case, I wonder if it is worth folking a new project to add
threading support to the backend?  Of course, keeping in sync with the
original would be lot of work.

In that way, one should be able to test the hypothesis (whether threads
improve things, or the other way round - if one likes it it that way :))
without messing around with stable postgres code, as they did and do
with postgresql-R.

And a minor question is wheter it is legal to keep the _changes_ in such
a project GPL?

> I am also not sure if it is a big win on Apache either;  I think the
> jury is still out on that one, hence the slow adoption of 2.X,

As far as we are concened, it is the stability, rather than speed which
still keeps us in 1.3.

> and we don't want to add threads and make a mess of the code or slow
> it down, which does often happen.

Fully agreed.
Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.18-xfs-1.1)
Equality is not when a female Einstein gets promoted to assistant