Re: inline newNode()

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: inline newNode()
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Neil Conway wrote:
> > BTW, regarding the newNode() stuff: so is it agreed that Bruce's patch
> > is a performance win without too high of a code bloat / uglification
> > penalty? If so, is it 7.3 or 7.4 material?
>
> Not sure.  It is a small patch but we normally don't do performance
> fixes during beta unless they are major.

This performance improvement isn't related to a specific user problem
report, so I am going to hold it for 7.4.  At that time we can also
research whether palloc0 should be used in other cases, like palloc
followed by MemSet.

The only issue there is that palloc0 can't optimize away constants used
in the macro so it may be better _not_ to make that change.  Neil, do
you have any performance numbers comparing MemSet with constant vs.
variable parameters, e.g:

    MemSet(ptr, 0, 256)

vs.

    i = 256;