Re: inline newNode()

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: inline newNode()
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > Well are we just assuming here or are we fixing actual problems based on
> > > real analyses?
> >
> > What is your point?  He is testing GEQO, but I assume other places would
> > see a speedup from inlining newNode.
>
> That's exactly my point: You're assuming.

We know GEQO is faster, and the 8% is enough to justify the inlining.
Whether it speeds up other operations is assumed but we don't really
care;  the GEQO numbers are enough.  The code bloat is minimal.

> Of course everything would be faster if we inline it, but IMHO that's the
> compiler's job.

Yes, but we have to help it in certain cases, heap_getattr() being the
most dramatic.   Are you suggesting we remove all the macros in our
header file and replace them with function calls?