Re: [ADMIN] Fast Deletion For Large Tables

От Nikolaus Dilger
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Fast Deletion For Large Tables
Дата
Re: [ADMIN] Fast Deletion For Large Tables
Список pgsql-general
Raymond,

Partitioned tables would solve your issue since you
could just truncate a partiotion in order to delete the
unneeded data.  Unfortunately they are not available in
PostgreSQL.  But maybe in a future release.

Unfortunately you also cannot use a UNION ALL in a view
to fake partitions.

So only several changes to your applicatin would allow
you to partion your data.  But depending on your
situation it may be worthwhile.  E.g. if you always
want to keep one weeks worth of data and purge a day at
a time you could have 7 tables instead of one.
table1_mon, table1_tue, table1_wed, etc.  And you could
select from all of them with a UNION ALL.

There is no rowid in PostgreSQL.  So while adding an
additional column with a sequence would help as long as
you have an index.  Just indexing your date column
maybe easier.  But then you pay with slower inserts or
the time and effort to build the index.

Regards,
Nikolaus Dilger