Re: how do i find out how long a query took?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: how do i find out how long a query took?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andy Kriger wrote:
> Is there a psql function I can call after making a query to find out how
> long the last query took? (e.g. after running a create index on a table with
> a lot of records, I would like to know how long it took). I know I could do
> this using JDBC and wrapping the query in getTimeMillis() but I'm curious if
> psql has a built-in function or if the client has a utility cmd.

Yes, you can use \timing in psql:

    test=> \timing
    Timing is on.
    test=> select * from pg_language;
     lanname  | lanispl | lanpltrusted | lanplcallfoid | lanvalidator |
    lanacl

     sql      | f       | t            |             0 |         2248 | {=U}
     internal | f       | f            |             0 |         2246 | {=}
     c        | f       | f            |             0 |         2247 | {=}
    (3 rows)

    Time: 76.83 ms

and in 7.3 we will have log_duration which will send all query
durations to the server logs.