Re: little off-topic: stored procedures

От Laszlo Hornyak
Тема Re: little off-topic: stored procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi!

One reason to use stored procedures:
Reduces the number of the required interactions between the DB and the client. It may result better response time for
theclients, and still lower load on the server.
Did you ever try to port your more difficult system to MySQL? :)
I did, postgres did with 1 sql statement, what MySQL did with 7-8. The throughput was similar.

It was the SQL problem, each vendor implemented differently, so stored procedures are the less portable things I have
everseen. If the java stored procedures will be implemented, we will be able to emulate the stored procedure systems of
comercialdatabases easyly.

Laszlo Hornyak

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 02:02:25PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Clinton Adams wrote:
>
> > I like having sql outside of the java code but i'm not crazy about stored
> > procedures - you can check out an alternative approach to stored procedures
> > and embedded sql at http://www.ibatis.com/jpetstore/jpetstore.html
> >
> > On Sun September 8 2002 11:35, Felipe Schnack graced us with the following -
> > >   I'm right now choosing the design patterns for an web portal for an
> > > academic institution. I just started a philosofical discussion about how we
> > > will do database access. I was thinking about use stored procedures
> > > extensively, but some people says me I should avoid them whenever possible,
> > > and put the business logic in Java. What you all think about it?
>
> Personally, I like having it right in the Java, for several reasons.
>
> 1. You don't have to go look into another file to see what's going on.

Is this the thing called "spagetti-code"?