Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...

От Sean Chittenden
Тема Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> > > And of course the big question is whether you will see any
> > > performance improvement with -O6 vs. -O2.  My guess is no.
> >
> > Agreed, however some of the loop-unrolling might prove to have
> > some optimization, but we'll see.  I'd like to think that there's
> > some actual value in -O6 beyond the geek appeal of being able to
> > say it's been compiled with all the optimizations possible.
> > ::shrug::
>
> And you think the answer is ...  I think we all know what the answer
> is.  :-)

I think the newbie/l33t geek appeal of being able to say something's
compiled and works with -O6 is probably worth more in terms of
marketing than it is interms of actual technical merrit.  Those that
need 10K lookups per second should be serializing data into a bdb file
with a unique key and not using a relational database (or helping out
with pgsql-replication).  :~) -sc

--
Sean Chittenden