Re: Problem with install instructions

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Problem with install instructions
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Tom,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:16:08AM -0400, Tom Berger wrote:
> How to install PostgreSQL on Windows:
>
> I am stuck on step 3.  I downloaded cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2 to my c:\ drive
> and am typing
>
> $tar -C / -xjf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2
>
> but am getting an error message

The "$" above indicates the prompt.  Just type the following:

    tar -C / -xjf cygipc-1.11-1.tar.bz2

> I don't understand what you mean by step 3.

See below...

> Does it have to be saved to a particular folder

Yes, but the above tar command will take care of that.

> and what do you mean by step 3?

The Windows system PATH must have the Cygwin bin directories listed
before the Windows ones.  For example, under Windows 2000:

    C:\home\jt>set path
    Path=C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;...

You may find the following helpful too:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.1.README

Jason