Re: Limiting User Resources

От C F
Тема Re: Limiting User Resources
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thanks for the responses.  I gave it some time to see if there were more ideas.  It looks like this might be my only option.  I'll give it a shot and post the results back here.

 Alvaro Herrera wrote:

C F dijo:

> Hello,

> Does PostgreSQL have anything similar? I'd be perfectly happy with
> simply being able set a timeout on SQL queries (where after a certain
> amount of time the query is cancelled and the resources it was using
> are freed).... I'd like to know what options there are. If not
> natively available in the the database are there 3rd party products or
> techniques you can suggest? Basically I'm looking at allowing users
> to enter their own queries through a web interface and I'm worried
> about people writing bad queries and hogging up the resources and
> effectively shutting down the site!

In the current development version there is a mechanism to set up
timeouts for queries (or was that transactions? I don't remember). Note
however that the user has the ability to change it, so you can't really
control malicious users this way.

If your users are going to have full freedom to do whatever they want,
there's no way you can control them. If however you are going to put
some restrictions (say add a begin/end transaction markers, disallow
using semicolons and single quotes in queries, etc) you can use the
timeout.

It would be nice if there was a way to limit the resources used, for
universities and such.

--
Alvaro Herrera ()
"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;

Do You Yahoo!?