Re: brk() function and performance

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: brk() function and performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:31:00PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Any update on this?

Sorry, yes. . .

> Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> > The same results are _not_ found in testing with 7.2.1.  In that
> > case, allocating a Gig of shared memory does not seem to affect the
> > result at all.  The only question is whether they might be if we ran
> > a lot of updates agains the 7.2.x tree.  (We tarred up and copied the
> > data tree from production, since I had it from a recent maintenance
> > period; but we had to use pg_dump to put the data into the 7.2
> > database, obviously).  We'll do a great whack of updates, and see if
> > that makes a difference.

We ran 100,000 updates against the same record on a table (vacuuming,
sometimes, of course), and were unable to reproduce the slowdown.  My
best bet is that someone happened to fix this problem by accident.
It could have been related to any of dozens of improvements in 7.2,
of course, but whatever it was, it seems to be gone.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110