Re: size of units in postgresql.conf

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: size of units in postgresql.conf
Дата
Re: size of units in postgresql.conf  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Here is the 7.3 postgresql.conf file, where I have added units to the
file.

Vincent Stoessel wrote:
> Why is it different for different directives?
> It seems like it would make maintenance a lot easier if
> we knew all the unit were bytes or kbytes by default.
> Are human readable variables supported (ie 12M , 11K) ?
> If not, can that be my feature request?
> Thanks.
>

> Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 May 2002 16:12:51 -0400
> > "Vincent Stoessel" <vincent@xaymaca.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>Quick question: what is the unit of memory size used in postgresql.conf?
> >>bytes? kilobytes?
> >>Is the base unit consistent for every field ?
> >

> > No, it depends on the specific configuration directive. The
> > documentation describes what each variable controls and the unit
> > is is specified in:
> >
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/runtime-config.html
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Neil
> >

> --
> Vincent Stoessel
> Linux Systems Developer
> vincent xaymaca.com

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

#
# PostgreSQL configuration file
# -----------------------------
#
# This file consists of lines of the form:
#
#   name = value
#
# (The '=' is optional.) White space may be used. Comments are introduced
# with '#' anywhere on a line. The complete list of option names and
# allowed values can be found in the PostgreSQL documentation. The
# commented-out settings shown in this file represent the default values.
#
# Any option can also be given as a command line switch to the
# postmaster, e.g. 'postmaster -c log_connections=on'. Some options
# can be changed at run-time with the 'SET' SQL command.
#
# This file is read on postmaster startup and when the postmaster
# receives a SIGHUP. If you edit the file on a running system, you have
# to SIGHUP the postmaster for the changes to take effect, or use
# "pg_ctl reload".

#========================================================================

#
#    Connection Parameters
#
#tcpip_socket = false
#ssl = false

#max_connections = 32

#port = 5432
#hostname_lookup = false
#show_source_port = false

#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777    # octal

#virtual_host = ''

#krb_server_keyfile = ''

#
#    Shared Memory Size
#
#shared_buffers = 64        # 2*max_connections, min 16, 8K each
#max_fsm_relations = 100    # min 10, fsm is free space map
#max_fsm_pages = 10000        # min 1000, fsm is free space map
#max_locks_per_transaction = 64    # min 10
#wal_buffers = 8        # min 4, 8K each

#
#    Non-shared Memory Sizes
#
#sort_mem = 1024        # min 64, size in KB
#vacuum_mem = 8192        # min 1024, size in KB

#
#    Write-ahead log (WAL)
#
#checkpoint_segments = 3    # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
#checkpoint_timeout = 300    # range 30-3600, in seconds
#
#wal_files = 0    # range 0-64
#
#commit_delay = 0        # range 0-100000, in microseconds
#commit_siblings = 5        # range 1-1000
#
#fsync = true
#wal_sync_method = fsync    # the default varies across platforms:
#                # fsync, fdatasync, open_sync, or open_datasync
#wal_debug = 0            # range 0-16

#
#    Optimizer Parameters
#
#enable_seqscan = true
#enable_indexscan = true
#enable_tidscan = true
#enable_sort = true
#enable_nestloop = true
#enable_mergejoin = true
#enable_hashjoin = true

#effective_cache_size = 1000    # 8K each
#random_page_cost = 4
#cpu_tuple_cost = 0.01
#cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.001
#cpu_operator_cost = 0.0025

#default_statistics_target = 10    # range 1-1000

#
#    GEQO Optimizer Parameters
#
#geqo = true
#geqo_selection_bias = 2.0    # range 1.5-2.0
#geqo_threshold = 11
#geqo_pool_size = 0        # default based on tables in query,
                # range 128-1024
#geqo_effort = 1
#geqo_generations = 0
#geqo_random_seed = -1        # auto-compute seed

#
#    Message display
#
#server_min_messages = notice    # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
                #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
                #   info, notice, warning, error, log, fatal,
                #   panic
#client_min_messages = notice    # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
                #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
                #   log, info, notice, warning, error
#silent_mode = false

#log_connections = false
#log_timestamp = false
#log_pid = false

#debug_print_query = false
#debug_print_parse = false
#debug_print_rewritten = false
#debug_print_plan = false
#debug_pretty_print = false

#explain_pretty_print = true

# requires USE_ASSERT_CHECKING
#debug_assertions = true

#
#    Syslog
#
#syslog = 0            # range 0-2
#syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
#syslog_ident = 'postgres'

#
#    Statistics
#
#show_parser_stats = false
#show_planner_stats = false
#show_executor_stats = false
#show_query_stats = false

# requires BTREE_BUILD_STATS
#show_btree_build_stats = false

#
#    Access statistics collection
#
#stats_start_collector = true
#stats_reset_on_server_start = true
#stats_command_string = false
#stats_row_level = false
#stats_block_level = false

#
#    Lock Tracing
#
#trace_notify = false

# requires LOCK_DEBUG
#trace_locks = false
#trace_userlocks = false
#trace_lwlocks = false
#debug_deadlocks = false
#trace_lock_oidmin = 16384
#trace_lock_table = 0

#
#    Misc
#
#dynamic_library_path = '$libdir'
#search_path = '$user,public'
#datestyle = 'iso, us'
#timezone = unknown        # actually, defaults to TZ environment setting
#australian_timezones = false
#client_encoding = sql_ascii    # actually, defaults to database encoding
#authentication_timeout = 60    # 1-600, in seconds
#deadlock_timeout = 1000    # in milliseconds
#default_transaction_isolation = 'read committed'
#max_expr_depth = 10000        # min 10
#max_files_per_process = 1000    # min 25
#password_encryption = true
#sql_inheritance = true
#transform_null_equals = false
#statement_timeout = 0        # 0 is disabled, in milliseconds
#db_user_namespace = false