Re: functions

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: functions
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Andrei,

> I really do not understand the philosophy involved.
> Usually the client needs very often this kind of sets.
> So, the only way for a client to get them is to issue
> hand-made query strings
> (e.g. pg_query(cnn, 'SELECT * FROM ...'), in PHP)?
> Where are the advantages of pre-compiled code,
> execution plans, etc? Probably it will take me some
> time to accommodate.

Nothing to understand.  The Postgres team just didn't have the code for
rowset-returning functions until recently.   We always wanted them.

> And by the way, MSSQL has also functions. I think they
> satisfy your requirements :)

Yeah.  I haven't really used MSSQL since 7.0; I've heard that 2000 has custom
functions, but I haven't tested them.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco