Re: alter table ad primary key

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: alter table ad primary key
Дата
Список pgsql-general
En Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:20:05 -0400
Dmitry Tkach <dmitry@openratings.com> escribió:

> Christoph Dalitz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > trying "alter table buecher add primary key (isbn);"
> > gives the error "ALTER TABLE / ADD CONSTRAINT is not implemented"
> > with PG 7.1.
> >
> > Does anybody know whether this works with a newer PG version?

Yes, it's supported since 7.2 I think.

> You don't really need all this...
>
> just:
>
> create unique index buecher_isbn_pkey on buecher(isbn);
> update pg_attribute set attnotnull='t' from pg_class where attrelid=oid and relname='buecher' and attname='isbn';
>
> This will have exactly the same effect as making it a primary key. The *only* difference is that \d will not say it's
aprimary
> key... Functionally, it is completely the same thing though...

Another side effect of this method is that when creating foreign key
references you will have to declare the column explicitly.

I think to get it completely you also have to set the indisprimary bit
on the pg_index tuple of the index...  Not that I'm suggesting messing
with system catalog though: it's unportable and a little mistake can
render your database useless.  Better to upgrade....

"Pensar que el espectro que vemos es ilusorio no lo despoja de espanto,
sólo le suma el nuevo terror de la locura" (Perelandra, CSLewis)

Сообщение: Re: alter table ad primary key
Сообщение: Re: alter table ad primary key