Re: FW: Merging databases

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: FW: Merging databases
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 21 Aug 2002 11:07 pm, Oleg Lebedev wrote:
> I wonder what would be a good way to merge data from two databases with
> same desing and schemas.

Do a search on "replication" in the mailing list archives. There are various
projects to do this at various stages of progress. See the "contrib"
directory if you have installed from source.

> What would be an optimal or a typical way to do this? Can I
> access a remote database running Postgres 7.2.1?
> thanks.

Typically with a Perl/Python client application. It either talks to both
databases simultaneously or takes responsibility for one end only. Whatever
solution you decide upon, take care with 2 things:

1. How am I handling deletion of data?
2. What happens if both sites update the same information? Is one always
right? Do individual records have owners? Does the user have to get involved?

- Richard Huxton