Re: [GENERAL] Default values, inserts, and rules...

От Sean Chittenden
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Default values, inserts, and rules...
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> Rules do not operate on individual tuples --- a rule is a textual
> transformation on the whole query before it ever gets executed at
> all.  What gets substituted into the INSERT command in your rule is
> not any specific tuple's value, but the NEXTVAL()-containing
> expression.

That makes loads of sense.  I thought it did its transformations
further down in the process and on individual tuples as opposed to a
wholistic rewrite of the query.  Using rules would've worked had I not
tried to be clever with tracing transaction histories through tags.
:-/ Guess it's no biggie though... rules just are so elegant compared
to triggers.  :~)

-sc

PS I converted everything to use schemas tonight and I can't applaud
the efforts enough: they really clean up the database and make things
much usable.  The output of psql is also much easier on the eyes for
large and complex schemas.

--
Sean Chittenden